Monday, December 04, 2006

Hooray for Circular Needles

After my first ordeal attempt at knitting with circular needles, I cursed and promised myself thought I would never try again.

When the time came to start working on the collar of my Vogue Knitting Principessa, I read "cast on xx stitches on your circular needles". I was screwed in trouble.

Of course, being the stubborn determined person I am, I immediately grabbed my straigth needles.

I cast on maybe 60 or 80 stitches when I realized I wouldn't be able to make it - I had no room to maneuver. Oh, F*ck my...

I reluctantly decidedly took the Aero Circular Needles Paula brought from Chile. I started casting on.

So far, so good.

I started knitting the collar.

It still is hard took a while for my hands and fingers to get used to knitting like this. I guess it takes me three times longer than knitting with my straight needles.

Here's a picture to show you my circular knitting!


Today I finished the collar, but I still have a little sewing to do (the placket and the loose threads of the intarsia, and the buttons, of course), and I still have to crochet the sleeve edges.

I won't show you the complete picture until I've finished it and it's ready to wear, but in the meantime have a look at the collar:


10 comments:

andrea said...

Te está quedando super bien! ¿cómo hiciste con las short rows? De tu pregunta en el post anterior, cuando haces short rows, si las haces tal cual te quedan unos hoyitos en donde diste la vuelta a la labor. Para evitar los hoyos, se hace el wrapping, que es envolver el punto con una lazadita. Voy a ver si encuentro alguna liga a un tutorial o video y te la paso.

Carla said...

Hola Andrea! las short rows las hice exactamente como dicen las instrucciones de Vogue Knitting, wrapping incluido - y no me quedó ningún hoyito por suerte!!!! pero si tenés un tutorial o video estaría genial!!!
besos

alejandra said...

Wowwwwwww!!!!!! Genia!!! Idola!!! Maestra!!! Creo que te dije todo.

Paula460 said...

maravilloso!!! Carla, esta supremo! me alegra que te reconciliaras con las circulares...ademas de permitir tejer en redondo y sin costuras...le quitan peso a la labor (aun cuando no tejes en circular) y son faciles de transportar.
Ya estoy esperando ver el resultado final... pero desde ya se ve maravilloso!

Vik said...

Es otra dimensión con las circulares!!! Claro que sí!
No nos tengas en suspenso y mostranos la foto entera, por favor!!! ;)

andrea said...

Encontré tres ligas,
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/04/japanese_short_.html

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

http://www.knittingatknoon.com/shortrows.html

Espero te sirvan, aunque se ve que el cuello te está quedando muy bien.

Gaby said...

Carla, te quedó re lindo!!!!
Espero la foto de cuerpo entero :)

Dipsy D. said...

LOL - I had such a good laugh with your blog entry ;) I'm like you, it seems I won't ever have a nice and calm relationship with circular needles - I've tried so often, but I simply don't get along with them! Perhaps it's due to the fact that I've been knitting with straight needles all of my life and thus am so used to them - I don't know why, but, like you said, it also takes me a while longer to knit with circulars than with straight needles. Hm... let's stick to the sticks, right? ;)
But hey - the collar is *amazing*!!

Nora said...

Love it! Very stylish.
I persisted with the circs because I HATE seams. Now, I can't live without them and use them all the time. x

Carla said...

Gracias Ale!!! siempre viniendo de vos que sos una maestra es un halago!
Paula, gracias a vos por haberme traido las circulares!!!
Vik, hoy termino todo - menos los botones y les muestro!
Gracias Andrea por los enlaces, ya mismo voy a verlos!
Gracias Gaby! hoy subo una foto de cuerpo entero.
Angie, I thought it was just me who hates circulars... everybody is so in love with them that I felt like an Alien... I mean, I know they are right - no sewing is worth a million dollars for me... but I fell really clumsy with the circulars.
Nora, I hope I fell the same way about circulars in some time!!! Thank you for your compliments!